WHAT IS FOMS?
- A parent-teacher network which has operated in our school for the past 6 years.
- A forum for parent networking, fundraising ideas, learning and discussion, exploring positive change and assist where necessary in organising the School Fair
- A great way to boost the parent community "vibe" which is already strong in our school.
- A means by which to tap into some of the amazing skills and talents our school parents have and co-ordinate these through "parent help" volunteering.
WHO ARE FOMS?
All parents and caregivers of children at Maungawhau School are automatically part of the FOMS community.
Lucy MacGinley is the Chairperson of FOMS and in this role liaises closely with Delanee Dale, our Principal, on issues that are of interest to parents. Where appropriate we put these on the Agenda for FOMS' twice-a-term meetings.
Gillian Doyle is our FOMS Secretary and Lara Hrstic is our Communications Guru.
We have a core group of meeting attendees which includes Delanee, parent Class Liaisons, and other volunteer parents. Everyone is always very welcome and you can attend one meeting or all meetings - it's up to you!
Meetings are usually scheduled for a Wednesday night in the school staffroom at 7.30pm and last between 60 - 90 minutes.
FOMS also welcomes guest speakers to talk about issues that are relevant to parents, children and teachers in our school such as professional development, focus topics, new teaching practices, workshops etc. We welcome parents’ ideas on potential discussion speakers and topics.
FOMS GOALS ARE TO:
- Nurture our school culture through inclusiveness
- Provide a vehicle for new parents to the school to become part of the school community
- Provide a forum for parents and caregivers to help understand our school and how we can help support our children’s learning.
- Assist in fundraising and community/fun events
- Encourage parent involvement
- Encourage relationship building between families and school
FOMS believes there is value in classroom parents being connected, supported and represented by one or two parent volunteers per class, schoolwide, in a Class Liaison role. The main purposes and responsibilities of this role are to:
- Attend FOMS meetings when able, and communicate Agenda items to/from class parents
- Ensure class parents can contact each other (eg through an email list) to arrange playdates, Walking Bus etc
- Organise social occasions for parents to get to know each other (eg coffee morning class picnic)
- Assist parents who are new to our school to feel welcome and be informed
- Encourage parent help for the class stall at the School Fair and FOMS events
- Appropriately support parent-teacher communications, (eg: key date reminders, trips, swimming timetable and parent help requirements).
CONTACT FORM CLICK HERE TO GET IN TOUCH
CHAIRPERSON - Lucy MacGinley firstname.lastname@example.org
SECRETARY - Gillian Doyle email@example.com
COMMUNICATIONS - Lara Hrstic firstname.lastname@example.org
WE ALWAYS NEED VOLUNTEERS TO HELP OUT IN LOTS OF DIFFERENT WAYS, SO IF YOU CAN DO ANY OF THE FOLLOWING OR CAN OFFER ANYTHING ELSE, PLEAST GET IN TOUCH...
Cinema and Theatre - hire, front of house, ticketing
Cultural events and language